Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Wicki Woo!

The resource I found most interesting was Using Wikis to Create Online Communities. The idea to make the library's intranet a wiki has merit. The intranet would become a place that staff could contribute their input and ideas. Also I think a community wiki would be a helpful and informative resource, particularly for people new to the area. The SPL website might benefit from a wiki where patrons could suggest and rate books that they enjoyed.

I've used Wikipedia before but never realized that anyone could post or delete entries. This makes information suspect; but since I'm usually looking up frivolous information anyway it doesn't make much difference to me. I can see where students would want to be wary of using it as a research tool. Mainly I find Wikipedia useful when I don't want to wade through all the websites a search engine brings up.

No comments: